Representatives of the Small World, East Lothian Council, local faith groups & schools, and the Community Council convened the inaugural meeting of the Prestonpans Fairtrade Town Group. What made the meeting - and the subsequent agreeing of the group's constitution - so important, was that it enabled us to meet one of five Fair Trade Town 'goals'.
Briefly, the five targets required to be met in order to secure Fairtrade Town status are:
- The Council must pass as resolution to support Fairtrade ☑
- Fairtrade products must be readily available in both shops and cafes ☑
- Local workplaces and community groups must support Fairtrade ☑
- the use of local media and events to promote Fairtrade ☑ ...and...
- A local Fairtrade Steering Group must be convened....TICK!
Thank you to everyone who came along to the meeting. There will be lots of opportunities to be involved in the project and membership is open to anyone who has expressed a commitment to promoting the objectives of the Prestonpans Fairtrade Town Group.
Our application to have Prestonpans be made a Fairtrade Town has been submitted to the Fairtrade Foundation....watch this space!